The Royal Air Force B-100 Goch Airfield
After the Normandy landings, (D-Day 1944), the Allies advanced towards Germany. To support the progress of the ground forces, the Royal Air Force, (RAF), had to keep up with them and control the airspace. To do this, the RAF needed airfields and runways. The first Royal Air Force airfield in Germany, 'B-100 Goch', was established in February/March of 1945, south of Weeze.
On the Western Front, The Rhineland Offensive is one of the battles where the heaviest fighting takes place and major losses are suffered; the battle for the Lower Rhine and the crossing of the Rhine (Operations Veritable, Grenade, Blockbuster, Plunder and Varsity). Allied air forces were assigned tasked with providing massive support to the ground troops. So temporary airfields were set up with the American troops given the code Y and British troops B, characterised by a sequential numbering and named after a nearby city. The first Royal Air Force airfield in Germany, 'B-100 Goch' was set up in February/March 1945 south of Weeze by units of engineers. The runway consisted of perforated steel plates with a length of 1,080 meters. There was an emergency landing runway and, diagonally opposite, a 900-meter-long green belt for transport aircraft. British and Canadian units carried out air attacks on German forces east of the Rhine with Spitfires and Typhoons from March the 4th of March 1945
The largest allied airborne on a single day took place in the airspace over Hamminkeln (Operation Varsity). In late April, after the successful conquest of the Ruhr area, the army moves on and military aircraft are moved from B-100 to several areas in the north of Germany. B-100 was abandoned.
Flughafen-Ring 6, Weeze - GPS code: N 51 35.68, E 6 9.663