208. An important visitor
In March 1945, after 'Operation Blackcock', British soldiers take a well-deserved breather in Weert. The men play a fierce football competition and participate in sports in the gymnasium of the Episcopal College. They know this break will not last long. Field Marshal Montgomery is coming to inspect and decorate the troops.
After its liberation on September the 22nd 1944 by the 1st Battalion The Suffolk Regiment, Weert offered long or short-term shelter to both British and American soldiers.
Soldiers were billeted in large buildings, such as the Episcopal College and the barracks, or in factories and schools and the homes of local people. On the one hand, having spent weeks on the front line, the troops could take a breather; on the other, there were soldiers from units such the Engineers, who carried out various tasks in the vicinity of Weert.
Field Marshal Montgomery had already visited the troops in Weert three times for a so-called ‘investiture’ (a medal ceremony). This always happened in the Episcopal College. Located in the town centre, the complex was ideal for accommodating large groups of soldiers. In practice, this meant that the staff of a particular unit was billeted here and the rest of the troops found shelter in and around Weert.
Wilhelminasingel 16-18, Weert - GPS code N 51 15.143, E 5 42.261