384. Borssele under fire
During the second World War, the coastline of South Beveland was a part of the Atlantic wall. The (then) Borsele were 46 fortifications built. Most of these were in the dike at the Angle of Borssele (Stützpunkt Blücher).
The Monsterweg in Borssele, and around of the Mountain of Troy, the Germans built five bunkers, with a storage room and three double living bunkers. These bunkers were increased, thus there were not one but two living quarters. One of the works has widened and broadened access doorway to one of the room making this bunker could serve as a gathering place wounded. This adjustment was, in fact, possible wounded on a stretcher to carry the bunker. Also there was a bunker to elongate it looks for ammunition storage.
In the war here was the headquarters of an artillery division established. Its batteries were set up in 1943 in the Van Citterspolder (Stützpunkt Roon) And in Ellewoutsdijk (Stützpunktgruppe Kurfürst).
In October 1944 burst into the Borssele war loose. On 12 October the village and its surrounding area was bombed. After the landings at Baarland and Hoedekenskerke, in October 1944, the Allies moved toward Borssele. When the march came from Ellewoutsdijk twelve Britons killed. On 30 October, the village was, albeit heavily damaged, liberated. Seven civilians lost their lives during the siege. At least ten graves of German soldiers were left behind. One of the dead was apparently no longer withstand the military life and committed suicide on December 27, 1942.
Noordsingel, Borssele - GPS code N51.425544, E3.737266