156. The Driesprong Church
On the 28th of October 1944, an imposing building, The Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, still stands here. A German Demolition Unit sets explosives to prevent the advancing Poles using the church tower as an observation post. Meanwhile, 52 frightened people are sheltering in the basement of the church.
German demolition units often blew up tall buildings as their troops had to retreat before the Allied advance. The church that once stood on this spot also suffered this fate. The Germans wanted to prevent the enemy using the church tower as a lookout post. Hence other tall buildings, such as water towers and windmills were often blown up too.
However, the church that stood on this site was blown up without any warning, while 52 anxious people huddled in the shelter under the church. Nobody knew whether any more explosions would follow and what would happen then. A huge cloud of dust billowed into the shelter and everyone had to leave the cellar immediately.
The demolition unit had already disappeared and had ignored the frightened Breda citizens in the cellar.