496. The Phoenix caissons
As part of the defenses around the Atlantic, the Germans put a large part of Schouwen-Duiveland underwater in the spring of 1944, causing most of the inhabitants to have to evacuate. After the war, the inhabitants of Schouwen-Duiveland resumed normal life bit by bit. They pumped out the water, rebuilt their homes, and returned to cultivating the land.
Yet eight years later, in 1953, the island was hit by disastrous floods. Hundreds of people were killed and the island found itself underwater yet again. The dike holes at Ouwerkerk were eventually sealed with relics from the Second World War-- four concrete Phoenix caissons, during the war distributed as reserve caissons for the Allied Mulberry emergency ports facilitating the invasion of Western Europe. Today, the Flood Museum is housed in the caissons.
Weg van de Buitenlandse Pers, Ouwerkerk - GPS code N 51.6175572, E 3.9826203